Thursday, March 15, 2007

Brain clock temporal processing review article

I just finished reading Mauk and Buonomano's 2004 review (Annual Review of Neuroscience) of "The Neural Basis of Temporal Processing." This is a bit of a hard read, but it is a good general overview summary article on contemporary mental time-keeping or temporal processing research and theory. All major mental time-keeping models are discussed, although the authors have a clear preference for the state-dependent distributed "emergent" neural models (vs. the internal clock model). I've posted a link to the article (that includes some yellow highlighting I did while reading the article) in the "key research articles" section of this blog. This is a good article for getting a handle on some of the key terms and theoretical concepts/models. I hope to take the notes I extracted and make some specific posts in the near future. I'm doing this reading largely to try get a handle on this entire domain of research....my learning curve is a bit slow right now.

A key comment in the review is that this field of research is very much in it's formative stage (stage of infancy).

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

powered by performancing firefox