Sunday, December 20, 2009

NIMH funded neurofeedback ADHD study -- does it impact the brain clock?


Interesting story in the Washington Post regarding a well-designed study being funded by NIMH re: the efficacy of neurofeedback.  I'm anxious to see the results, as I've hypothesized that the apparent efficacy of rhythm-based metronome therapies (e.g., Interactive Metronome) for ADHD operate in a similar manner as they provides constant and immediate performance feedback based on rhythm motor synchronization.  I've speculated that these forms of treatment may be improving the synchronization of information across different parts of the brain via the "fine tuning" of the brain clock (the temporal resolution hypothesis).  In particular, I've hypothesized about these methods improving the neurocognitive constructs of executive selective attention and working memory.  

I've outlined the foundation for my hypothesis in some on-line PPT slide shows that can be accessed on the blog sidebar.

A couple past posts of relevance can be found here, here, and here.

Conflict of interest disclosure:  I'm on the Scientific Advisory Board for Interactive Metronome.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


No comments: